Sunday, November 18, 2007

what was i thinking?

Mild humiliation is good for you, right? so, my mom insisted on putting this first painting on the wall in the basement. its from my stint in oil painting class. i was in 6th grade, and i seriously thought i rocked the very foundations of the oil painting world, with my, uhh, superior pine tree and shrubbery making skills. oh yeah. i mean i guess its not terrible for a 6th graders first time painting with oils. but on the other hand, its mocking me with its sad sad mediocrity, and
i secretly wish it would spontaneously combust already and leave me in peace.
I can honestly say that this second painting is a complete mystery to me. i have no idea why i painted it, and am equally confused as to why its still living in my moms basement, i thought i threw it out once already... like 10 years ago or something. and what to do with my buxom friend now? i fear she may soon meet an untimely end. she may not have any eyes, but she sure has boobs (in the middle of her stomach?) to make up for her short comings. what was wrong with me? the only thing cool, at least in my book of cool(io), about this painting and the next, are that they are painted on toilet paper. this one had a backing of plastic, the next is affixed to a cardboard box, on top of which i crumpled toilet paper and then saturated it with a mixture of elmer's glue and water. once it was dry, it made a really groovy surface to paint on. now if only i had something decent to paint. like chickens maybe.
This one was inspired by a black and white picture in a psych text of mine. i obviously was delirious when making my color selections, but at the time i thought i was so profound. deep man. deeply retarded, but whatever.


3 comments:

sweet_ass_holly said...

Ok, I cant draw or paint anything short of a stick figure and nowrmally the girls are wearing triangle dresses and the boys have a square for shorts, so stop knocking your art. You were totally bob ross back in 6th grade "putting a friendly little tree over here and a litlle friend next to him." And I guess I should have went to a public school for my younger years, becuase in 6th grade we were still gluing sand onto a coloring book page and calling that "art" not all using oils.

jennifer said...

the oil painting class wasnt in our school, can you imagine anchor bay having anything like that? it was extracurricular, and after a few weeks the lady had to down size and kicked me out of the class because she thought the others had more potential. it was great. and i personally love your girls with triangle dresses.

Khadijha Caitlin said...

Oh Holly stole my comment. ~ I was going to say that Bob Ross would be so proud.